28:15: Weekly listener question: I was wondering if you could discuss alternative strategies to address Russia. For example, can we weaponize immigration policy instead of solely relying on money for weapons systems and sanctions? What if the U.S. issued an uncapped number of visas to any Russian citizen? What if we provided immediate U.S. citizenship to any active duty Russian soldiers and their families who surrender? Could be interesting if you include bonuses to defecting soldiers for bringing their equipment—$1,000 for a rifle, $100,000 for a tank, $1 million for a MiG… all much cheaper than weapons used against them. Seems like the army would rapidly depopulate, and Putin couldn’t backfill if millions of Russian citizens decamped for the U.S. You’d also get the side benefit of eliminating any labor shortages and maybe do something real against inflation, so I think it’s a fun idea, but I’d appreciate your thoughts on this idea or any other alternative strategy for dealing with the Russian conflict.
This week’s links:
- “Biden Takes Big Step Toward Government-Backed Digital Currency” by Jason Abbruzzese and Kevin Collier
- Townhall.com tweet
- “How the Russian Invasion of Ukraine Upended Germany” by Alec MacGillis
- “Biden’s Hidden War Is Destroying Yemen” by Fiona Harrigan
Send your questions to [email protected]. Be sure to include your social media handle and the correct pronunciation of your name.
- Tired of feeling like someone’s always watching you on the internet? Maybe advertisers know a bit too much about you, or you’re concerned about the privacy of your identity? Using incognito mode won’t solve the problem either. IPVanish VPN is here to protect your right to privacy and help you stay anonymous online. IPVanish helps you safely browse the internet without exposing your private details to third parties, such as hackers, your ISP, or advertisers. You can use IPVanish on your computers, tablets, phones, even devices like your Firestick when you’re streaming media. When you use IPVanish, all of your data is encrypted. This means that your private details, passwords, communications, browsing history, and more will be completely shielded from falling into the wrong hands. Even your physical location will be hidden. IPVanish makes you virtually invisible online. It’s that simple. You can use IPVanish on unlimited devices without sacrificing speed. Whether I’m at home or in public, I don’t go online anymore without using IPVanish. IPVanish is offering an incredible 70 percent off their yearly plan for our listeners with a 30-day money-back guarantee. That’s just like getting 9 months for free. IPVanish is super easy to use. All you have to do is tap one button and you’re instantly protected. You won’t even know it’s on. Stop sharing with the world everything you watch, everything you search for, and everything you buy. Take your privacy back today with the brand rated 4.6/5 on Trustpilot. Go to IPVANISH.com/roundtable and use promotional code ROUNDTABLE to claim your 70 percent savings.
- We all want to make sure our family is protected in a medical emergency. What many of us don’t realize is that health insurance won’t always cover the full amount of an
emergency medical flight. Even with comprehensive coverage, you could get hit with
high deductibles and co-pays. That’s why an AirMedCare Network membership is so important. As a member, if an emergency arises, you won’t see a bill for air medical transport when flown by an AMCN provider. Best of all, a membership covers your entire household for as little as $85 a year. AMCN providers are called upon to transport more than 100,000 patients a year. This is coverage no family should be without. Now, as a listener of our show, you’ll get up to a $50 Visa or Amazon gift card with a new membership. Simply visit AirMedCareNetwork.com/reason and use offer code REASON.
Audio production by Ian Keyser
Assistant production by Adam Czarnecki
Music: “Angeline,” by The Brothers Steve